Saturday, September 5, 2009

Some Projects, from Start to Finish

Here is something I hope I can do here from time to time: Show the steps that I take it the creative process getting from raw materials to finished product!

Sometimes there are creative bumps in the road, when my brain takes a break. This one wasn't too bad, and after a few days I pulled together an idea. Here I have the completion of a project! First, I got the wonderful grey Czech crystals.
I took a few of them and put together these cute little flowers. I stopped at that point, because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to make with them. I was thinking about earrings, but ended up changing my mind.
So a couple of days ago I finally attached all the cute little flowers to a copper chain. And I have a great, dangly necklace! I came home from work the next day to find some decent light hitting my backyard. So I ran outside, braved the mosquitos, and got some pictures. So, here's the working progression: 

And only three mosquito bites! I think I like how it all came together. So now all I have to do is write up a little description and list it on Etsy!
My other projects came together as well, although I sold them right away, since they were custom orders.
Starting bits that I posted in an earlier post:
Simple, but special. These bookmarks were made for a father and his two year old son. I added a single freshwater pearl, followed by a pewter cross. For the mother and daughter of the family, a set of pearl bracelets with matching pewter cross charms. By adding the chain, the bracelet can fit the little girl for years to come, even as she grows.
So, now I'm looking at probably putting creating new items on hold. I'm going to work on getting ready for Art Beat, the big art fair that I'll be participating in at the end of the month. Last year was my first time participating, and I must admit, it was a bust! I would like to blame it on the fact that it rained, but who knows! So this year, I'm going to try my best to improve what I can to make this year go better.
There's lots to do - make tags, decide what I'm taking, maybe prepare some matching earrings to go with some items, print out signs...and the list will probably continue to grow! There's the must do list, and the would like to do list.
I'm going to read up, try to find some good advice, and will share what I learn here. Some ideas I have already found that I will probably try are:
  • creating a gift certificate give away,
  • handing out business cards
  • having a binder with pictures of my items (printed from Etsy), and a big one...
  • accepting credit cards!
I'll report on how these turn out, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there. Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts!!!